Thursday, December 6, 2012

Discourses, Language and Learning


I just recently taught my English class the definitions of jargon, colloquialism, slang and dialect.  We discussed why some stories are written with specific voice and why some are not.  The students decided that formal language isn’t always used in a text because the use of slang, etc makes the characters more ‘real’.  Culture plays a large role in how we speak, act, and interpret the texts we encounter.  When reading stories, my class came to the conclusion that it is necessary for us to understand the character’s background and why they behave the way they do in order to truly understand the author’s message.  These Discourses are really what make the story come alive.  Same can be said for our cultural classrooms.     In Cultural Models, Gee states that “Culture models can be about “appropriate” (Gee, p. 68).  Certain ways of being (acting, speaking, etc) are deemed appropriate in certain cultures.  This can also be said in our classrooms, as each class has its own culturally specific Discourse.  When we have students who fail to fit the “mold”, we try to change their behaviour to better suit the “norm”.  If they refuse to adapt or play the game, they are sent to a special class.  Several immigrant students are brought up to value education differently from each other.  This effects how they behave in class and sometimes this causes others to shun them.  What people say, and how they say it is culturally specific.  The level of appropriateness is subjective, but also dependent upon group membership.  People who practice similar Discourse will always have a greater understanding of each other, and an advantage in our current educational system.  I am constantly struggling with how I can better this predicament.
                At our seminar, we read and discussed risky texts.  I took a look at “Woolvs in the Sitee” (Margaret Wild) and found it to be a dark book – very artistic.  The text was riddled with grammatical and spelling mistakes, which made it difficult to read.  Despite this, the language is necessary for the context.  It aided in the mood and understanding of the story.   I could see this story meaning different things to different people, based on their personal viewpoint.  The text also made me think about how un-accepting we are, as educators, of text that is not correct or written in a straight line (like Margaret Wild’s “Fox”).  Why are we so judgemental about text?  We teach our students to leave judgements as best as they can, yet we don’t practice that in its simplest form.  Maybe there is a place for bbm and text language in our classrooms?  I guess this all comes with the learning curve I find myself on.  I need to let go of the details (a little) and focus on the main messages being presented in front of me.  I use tech-language in my daily life constantly, as do my students.  Classroom lessons do not have to be above this, but should include all types of language.  How I incorporate these new languages is what I struggle with these days... I think they all have their place.
                I really enjoyed the segment on “Sister Anne’s Hands” by Marybeth Lorbiecki.  It’s a great book to begin the discussion on differences.  Some may think that this is more for the elementary level, but I would definitely use this book in my secondary school classes.  Acceptance goes far beyond skin colour which can be stressed in the discussion after the reading.  I find that high school students need more reminders of this.  I prefer taking my students on a journey back to their younger days of reading children’s books to re-teach them these lessons.  I find that when I take them on a journey to when life was simple (prior to teenage life), and then relate it to present life with different pressures, sometimes it becomes apparent that those simple lessons are still valid and can remain simple, yet still important.
                I am really enjoying the novel reading.  My group has read “Alabama Moon” by Watt Key and “Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt” by Beth Hoffman.  Both books deal with overcoming life-changing obstacles.  Between the two books, I am more interested in getting a class set of “Alabama Moon” for my Essentials English class.  I can really see them enjoying this novel.  The main character is immediately likable and deals with surviving on his own and his need for companionship and belonging.  I can see them really taking to this book and also making connections to their own lives.
                Through the readings and seminars, I am becoming aware of how ‘set in our ways’ we are – as people and individuals.  Even though we are taught different methods, to teach, that we agree with, we are still creatures of habit.  We still, to some degree, teach the way we were taught.  We base our teaching on how “experts” who have researched in the field of education have mentored us to teach.  Yet, does anyone ever challenge these thoughts?  I began thinking about this when Jerry critiqued Allen Luke saying that Luke doesn’t trust the learning process.  I realized that I read educational research or listen to someone of authority in education and I automatically concur.  I think I’m too opinionated at the best/worst of times, but I need to be more skeptical and continue to develop my own methodology of teaching.  I suppose in some way I already do that only because I’m “set in my ways” to a certain degree, and have my own beliefs.  The awareness of this is causing me to change my teaching.  I think we all have our own styles because I know that I certainly do.  I enjoy listening to others teach, or lesson ideas and taking lessons from my experiences.  I use them when I see fit and am trying new things constantly, not always because I think they will work all the time, but I think that I might find something better than my current methods or just to have variety.  No one enjoys boring J
                I’m really starting to hope that I remain unsettled in my teaching... It’s keeping me on the ball!

No comments:

Post a Comment