Thursday, March 1, 2012

Learning Language Learning


I am learning that literacy is not as simple as I once thought.  In other words, I am paying more attention to the inner workings of literacy and viewing it through a broadening lens after each and every seminar and reading.  These readings have opened my eyes to events that occur that I have taken for granted.  I now see language is this symbolic system that we use in order to communicate.  Even when we are young and not formally educated, we still succeed in getting our point across.  I like the quote, ‘children do not need to study language to make it work.’  Children are communicating before school begins.  Personally, I do not think I have ever given much thought to this.  Perhaps because I do not have my own kids or that I teach in a high school, and I took my own learning for granted.  Most likely, I did not take the time... until now.
I enjoy participating in the reading strategies that are incorporated in our seminars.  I’m looking forward to incorporating them into my lessons.  I love having class discussions and these strategies give me a different way to get my students to respond to various literature.  Even though I teach the older kids, I still use many strategies that I would with younger kids.  I still read story books and give stickers when I can.  I’m positive that I will receive a good reaction to these strategies.  I think students will enjoy taking reading to the next level, and making connections.  Like most people, teenagers love having and vocalizing their opinions.  My favourite indicator that I’ve got my class thinking is when I hear, “That’s deep, Miss.”  I like using story books to introduce topics or to make a point.  Instead of reading the books and having an open discussion, I will use the ‘target/perpetrator/bystander/ally’ strategy.  I’m hoping this will allow more students to be involved in the discussion.
A segment in the Sealey article stated that more speech is used than written language.  I am curious if this statement is still valid.  In my daily activities, I see more the opposite.  I see students on their phones messaging each other, using a written form of communication.  Students are constantly tweeting or facebooking their thoughts to each other or the world wide web for anyone to read.  I hear a lot of students constantly talking about what they find online or on youtube, all of which require the written form of communication.  Many play video games, which do not require spoken communication, but following written or symbolic instructions in order to participate in the game.  I find myself lecturing my class on not losing the art of spoken communication and face to face communication.  Many of my students are better at communication through social media than they are vocally.  We are trying our hardest to enforce a “No Personal Electronic Device” policy at my school with posters that make reference to ‘talking’, like it is something that is completely foreign.  Interestingly enough, when speaking about this to my group at the seminar, some teachers in the elementary panel were discussing how they were incorporating technology into the classroom.  I agree that literacy and language is constantly evolving and growing, and technology is and will continue to be a large part of this.  With the introductions of e-learning and virtual books, one can no longer say their home is cluttered with reading material – it’s in a small black box (their kobo, ipad, tablet, etc).  So why are some schools blocking technology and others not?  I realize that it is the appropriate use of technology that is the main issue with the older students, but this is my argument: these students will always have their technology attached to them, so instead of trying ban them, why not let them use them (cell phones, blackberries, iphones/pods, etc) and let them decide when it is appropriate and inappropriate to use them.  We can inform them about what is and is not appropriate, but after and outside of school, they will have to decide for themselves.  They are always going to be challenged with multi-tasking their everyday duties – in the work world, etc – with the personal electronic devices. Maybe they should learn that level of multi-tasking now? Just a thought...
I was really able to apply my language journey to the concept that language is dynamic.  My language has evolved and is continuing to evolve as I continue to grow.  I was born in India where the primary language is not English, but it is my first (and only) language.  I’ve been told that I had an accent at one point and I remember when I first came to Canada, I made a conscious effort to use words that made me fit in here.  I remember feeling odd when using those words in the presence of my parents.  The more I learn and grow, my vocabulary becomes more complex as I am better able to communicate my thoughts.  My language changes depending on who my audience is as well.  I use slang at times when I am speaking casually with students in order to connect with them.  I use more academic language when I am speaking to colleagues and administrators.
The Weaver article discusses environmental print – can we include social media lingo in its definition?  The advancement of language and how it evolves should include this type of text.  It is used by the youth we teach and are learning from (I learn new acronyms from my students quite frequently).  This is the language in which most of them use to communicate.  Even though, we stress the difference between formal and informal language, I think that it is important that we include this ‘new wave’ of communication into our repertoire.  Not only does it aid in engaging students and in connecting with them, but it incorporates technology into the teachings of language.  The culture of technology invades us at every corner.  I think it would be a shame to ignore it.  It is a form of language and text and can be utilized if used in context.
Children learn to read and then the read to learn.  I found this to be almost sad.  I realize that literacy is a good thing and that this is what we, as teachers, want this in all our students. But, what about reading for pleasure?  I grew up loving to read.  My parents had to pry books away from me to get me to bed.  I also remember being in university and stopping myself from reading for fun because otherwise, I would not read my course materials.  I almost feel like children and people should always be encouraged to read – read anything.  As a person who has been through the school system, I know that I do not want to read if I do not like the content or if it is not interesting.  So why would my students?  I realize that certain reading cannot be helped, but I look at the novels that are still read in English classes at my school (ex. John Steinbeck’s Of Mice and Men), and I almost sympathize with my students.   I’m sure there are novels that are written that are modern and more in tune with today’s teens.  It seems like taking on the world to get new novels in a school or convincing a department head that change needs to happen.  Why is this?
            Unfortunately, at times, teachers to this day still make judgements of children’s ability and performance based on their backgrounds.  Expectations might be generalized.  I found this to be very unfortunate.  When I first came to Canada from India, I vaguely remember my first Canadian teacher to be surprised that I spoke English and that my math was further ahead than what was being taught to my age group.  I remember almost feeling like I needed to prove something.  My need to be accepted by my peers superseded that initial feeling, and I am now definitely not the math genius I felt like in Grade 2.  I do know that the stereotyping I initially felt does exist.  The Luke article, affected me because it proved to me that student’s previous experience is valid in a classroom and can be used as an advantage.

No comments:

Post a Comment